Senior Product Designer
Design / Palo Alto, CA, United States
At Flipboard, we believe that great stories move the world forward. Our mission is to inform and inspire the world with a great product where people can share, consume, and curate great stories. Alongside the world’s greatest publishers and content creators, we are shaping the future of digital storytelling and content consumption.
As a Product Designer at Flipboard, you will be involved in every aspect of product development, from brainstorming the next great innovation to tweaking pixels and interactions right before launch. You will utilize your full range of product design, interaction design, prototyping, and visual design skills to build world-class experiences. The position is based in Palo Alto.
- Research and deeply understand the needs and motivations that drive usage behaviors in our product and light the way toward new user problems to address
- Lead the design and creation of useful and valuable user experiences across web, client, and mobile platforms
- Distill broad, conceptual ideas into practical and engaging interfacesContribute to high-level strategic decisions with the rest of the product and executive teams
- Design a flexible, multi-device content presentation system for articles, videos, and audio-based content
- Work with strategic partners to design off-platform Flipboard experiences
- Give and solicit feedback from designers and engineers in order to continually raise the bar for quality.
- Partner with product managers, engineers, researchers and content strategists to oversee the user experience of a product from conception to launch and beyond
- Execute in a fast-paced environment with ability to make a large and lasting impact
- 4+ years of application, visual, and interaction design experience
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent practical work experience in Design
- Excellent communicator of product decisions and the rationale behind them
- Self-starter who can deeply collaborate with designers, engineers, and product managers
- Demonstrated strategic product thinking and vision
- Demonstrated experience with end-to-end (hybrid UX and UI) product design
- Portfolio of quality product, visual, and interaction design work
- Excellent command of typography, grid systems, color theory, iconography, and other related aspects of visual design
- Lo-fi & hi-fi prototyping skills
Benefits & Perks
- Our benefits include vision, dental, life, and health insurance, plus 401K with a company match
- Flexible hours and generous ‘out of office time’ for holidays, vacations, sick leave, relaxation & wellness, personal and family needs
- Subsidized commuter programs
- Team celebrations: company anniversaries, birthdays, Thanksgiving, weddings/babies –– you name it, we celebrate it!
Why Join Flipboard?
- Our vision: At a time when society could really benefit from being more informed and inspired, we are enabling great stories to reach the right communities around the world.
- Our team: Led by experienced entrepreneur CEO Mike McCue, and President/COO Kal Amin, we are a highly diverse team of bright, capable people who work collaboratively with strong purpose and vision. We are positive, respectful and we value self improvement. We want an environment and culture where a variety of voices and perspectives are both encouraged and heard. Our belief is that employees from various backgrounds and experiences can help us fulfill our mission of truly “Inspiring and Informing” the world. We believe that leveraging this diversity will lead us to create better products and services for all of our key constituents on the platform.
- Our value: We are fully funded and making steady, meaningful progress on a premium, high margin business within a $600B, highly strategic market. Our business model is tightly aligned with our values, our partners and our user experience which makes our company both valuable and unique.
- Our product: Millions of people truly love Flipboard and rely on it regularly. Flipboard is a standard bearer for great mobile design, innovation, and we deeply value craftsmanship.
- Our platform: Our platform selects the best content from millions of sources around the world, organizes it into highly personalized feeds, and presents it for further curation by the community. We are driven by hard technical challenges and we value pioneering new technology to continually increase the power, efficiency and scale of our platform.